[lbo-talk] bye bye American Dream

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:17:54 PST 2004

[From Political Affairs magazine] Dear Readers,

Now that the election has come and gone, it seems particularly fitting that this issue of Political Affairs has just returned from the printer: "Bye Bye American Dream" is the theme. Here is a sample of some of the articles.

Bye Bye American Dream http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/385/1/38/

Never before has the divide between our nation’s richest and poorest been so large. Never before has corporate corruption and welfare been so flagrant. Therefore, we watch with rapt attention and desperation the unfolding of the American Dream on so-called reality TV, distracted from the fact that the Dream’s rewards are more fiction than fact nowadays.

Capitalism...It's a Killer: Interview with Pat Gowens http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/386/1/38/

"We are a group of mothers in poverty. We came together 18 years ago to produce a newspaper, Mother Warriors Voice, to give a voice to moms, especially single moms in poverty because the war on the poor seemed to be targeting our families. All of the stereotypes and war propaganda against us made it difficult to raise our children. "

Empire v. Democracy: Interview with Michael Parenti http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/387/1/38/

Editor’s Note: Michael Parenti is a widely acclaimed author and activist. His work includes Against Empire, Blackshirts and Reds, History as Mystery, To Kill a Nation, and most recently, Superpatriotism. Here Parenti begins by discussing his history of Rome and the life of Julius Caesar, The Assassination of Julius Caesar.

Book Review – Race War!, by Gerald Horne http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/383/1/38/

Race War! breaks through pervasive amnesia by telling how for a time the Japanese empire was able to use its claim to be the "champion of the colored races" as a "powerful mobilizing tool in a world comprised overwhelmingly of Asians, Africans, and Latin Americans." What’s more, through this history Horne contributes to a fuller global and historic understanding of racism.

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/