North, South Underground Railroad - was Re: [lbo-talk] Election result maps

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 08:51:10 PST 2004

At 11:26 AM 11/10/2004, DSR wrote:

> > Maps and cartograms of the 2004 US presidential election results
> > <http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/election/>
>
>Woj, all, I think the maps show that this is cannot be simply
>reduced to a "North/South" dynamic at all. While the Blue states
>were in the north, there were also many northern states that went
>red, too. And the maps showing pockets of blue throughout cannot be
>ignored.
>
>And yes, this is a pathetic attempt to convince the rest of you to
>either 1) adopt my ass and move me in, or 2) don't abandon those of
>us ...egads, am I even saying this phrase...LEFT BEHIND!
>
>Heh, wouldn't it be something if the "Rapture" the fundies believe in
>was actually a sudden mass exodus of "blue state-of-mind" folk from
>the red states?
>
> - Deborah

:) I live in a purple county. We voted Gore last time, though, so it's just
barely purple. I also notice that limpdick looks much healthier like this: http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/election/cartlinearlarge.png

Maybe we should start something up and call it Underground Railroad?

We could do like vote-swapping during the 2000 election. Hell, maybe a whole new industry will emerge. Instead of outplacement and staffing agencies, people will simply match up red-state-of-minders and blue-state-of-minders. They can swap jobs and maybe even homes.

The advantage for blue staters, once we become more homogeneous, is that we are already used to bickering amongst ourselves. It won't be a big adjustment.

Red staters, OTOH, have been so used to seeing the Blue Staters as the enemy, they may well turn on themselves and devour each other once they no longer have a common enemy. Of course, those tensions may just spill over since one way to control the population will be to look for an enemy-other outside their borders.

OK. I will remove my tongue from my cheek now.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling