[lbo-talk] Ashcroft was too liberal?

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Nov 10 13:54:55 PST 2004

Complicit, but not the "great" legal mind... just like Ashcroft.

The hearings should be hilarious... Leigh Meyers

Thanks. But the question of why Ashcroft is leaving is still open. The first thing I thought of was health---something sinister and fast like pancreatic cancer. Probably wishful thinking.

Then the next thought was Ashcroft's style. He flat out stonewalled some Senate Committee last June and refused to answer a direct question from Biden, but I forgot what it was. It was pretty stunning to watch. Ashcroft should have been cited for contempt. He got away with it because there were not enough votes, but it wasn't very smart.

Maybe Bush thinks Gonzales is a better weasel. Sorry. Rewind. Maybe Carl Rove thinks Gonzales makes a better shield and can screw up the internal workings of DoJ to halt any spurious anomalies from escaping from the legal ranks below. There must be a long list of really nasty cases stewing around down in the basement.

None my speculations seem very convincing to me.

CG