[lbo-talk] liberal christians speak out

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 06:29:24 PST 2004

>From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
>
>>However reasoned and eloquent their arguments, the "good" Christians
>>(liberals) will get precisely nowhere informing the "bad" Christians
>>(rightwingers) that they got it all wrong and don't have a clue what Jesus
>>was on about. The history of Christianity is one of murderous intramural
>>conflict among the various sects claiming affiliation with the Prince of
>>Peace -- each of which is sure that it and it alone is channeling Jesus.
>>Short of putting Haldol in the drinking water I don't know what can be
>>done about this.
>>
>>Carl
>
>Carl, I know you're a hopeless, godless romantic, but the majority of
>people worldwide, not just here, believe in some kind of spiritual realm.
>This isn't gonna change in our lifetime, so one must make do with what we
>have. As I've said before, the majority of Christians I know are peaceful,
>intelligent and committed to social justice (the few Muslims I know are the
>same, esp one young woman who despises the Taliban, Tawid, et al.). Let's
>make common cause with those who don't pine for Old Testament kicks,
>y'know, those who helped thousands of Central Americans to escape US-funded
>death squads, who work with AIDS patients, etc. They're really good people
>who take to heart the positive side of Christ.
>
>DP

Christians can do good works and keep God in their hearts, but they and all the other faithful should damn well keep their mouths shut about God in the public sphere. Religion has no place in the res publica. It is hoplessly divisive and subversive of a democracy. The evidence is all around us.

Carl