[lbo-talk] Re: Structural change and falling wages in the Japanese workforce

Greg L. sonicgg at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Nov 11 06:39:55 PST 2004

MG wrote: The erosion of regular full-time employment has been instrumental in the revival of corporate profitability, but, as the FT notes, some employers and economists are worried the accompanying decline in mass purchasing power will produce deflationary crises. ______________________________________________________________ Well, the economy has been deflating for the last 5-6 years, no? I actually witnessed the dynamic that the article describes first-hand. I just quit a job with a Mazda subsidiary about a month ago after three years- I did translating and proofreading of manuals. The company made no secret of the fact that it was aiming to reach 40% "part time workers". Part-time meaning 7 hours a day, low wages and very few of the frills afforded full-fledged company employees. These were mostly young females with only a high school or junior college degree. It's going to be very interesting to see how these changes will play out since so much of the society and culture is still bult around lifelong employment and the seniority system. Also adding to (or at least being a sign of) deflation has been the rise of the "100 yen" (about 1 USD) shops. Tons of cheap Chinese stuff so that consumers can still get their "buy on". Cheers, Greg