[lbo-talk] Re: Structural change and falling wages in the Japaneseworkforce

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Thu Nov 11 11:02:33 PST 2004

Greg L wrote:

> MG wrote:
> The erosion of regular full-time employment has
> been instrumental in the revival of corporate
> profitability, but, as the FT notes, some employers and
> economists are worried the accompanying decline in mass
> purchasing power will produce deflationary crises.
> Well, the economy has been deflating for the last 5-6
> years, no?
------------------------------------------- Others like Doug will have a better handle on this, but I think the US CPI has risen by between 1%-3% each year over the past decade. There may have been a month or two in the recent period when the price index actually declined slightly, triggering concerns about deflation..

MG