[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 10:14:02 PST 2004

>From: DSR <debburz at yahoo.com>
>
>--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, it can be argued that only agnostics are God-fearing people.
> > They alone
> > respect the Almighty in all Its infinitude. They do not purport to
> >
> > understand what is unknowable. Hence, those who argue against
> > religion are
> > the truly religious, QED.
>
>Carl, you're just a closet Unitarian.

Nosiree, Emerson's my guy, and he had no use for Unitarianism, calling it "corpse-cold" (which should amuse Doug, who on several occasions has spoken of Emerson's supposed Freon-like personality). What this country needs is a revival of Transcendentalism, the gemütlich version of Unitarianism. I ran across this interesting view of Transcendentalism vs. Unitarianism on the Web :

"... Transcendentalism was a liberal branch of Unitarianism. ... Even though they carried on many of the ideas of Unitarianism, transcendentalists rejected its coldness. Unitarianism was largely based on Locke, whom transcendentalists despised. Locke stated that knowledge is equal to experience, where the mind is like an empty page on which the senses write the human knowledge. Transcendentalists claimed that consciousness is a reliable source of spiritual insight, and access to knowledge beyond senses is possible for everyone.

"... Both religions emphasized hope and self-dedication, and despised Calvinist emphasis on sin and punishment. Transcendentalism diverged from Unitarianism because it valued 'heart' above 'mind.' Emerson called Unitarianism 'corpse-cold,' 'an icebox,' with 'coldness constantly increasing.' ..."

<http://www.geocities.com/bigmike_75/essays/philosophy/transcendentalism.html>

BTW, this Web site appears to be for students interested in getting readymade term papers for last-minute downloading. Today's collegians may lack the benefits of free sex that were so common in the sixties, but by gosh they are certainly on easy street when it comes to avoiding the all-nighter, hyper-caffeinated drudgery of (fake) scholarly work that existed back in those pre-Internet, typewriter-powered days.

Carl