[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 10:51:44 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:44:05 -0500, Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org> wrote:
> So apparently the view of the most politically sophisticated and
> knowledgeable LBO listers is:
> 3) Nothing can be done to improve existing labor unions. Their only
> function is to strengthen capitalism.

Sure, because I'm sure the real deal LBO'ers are out on the picket line every day. When was the last time you walked on a picket line? What a joke. Anyone with a brain in their heads can see that nothing can be done to improve existing labor unions, which currently cover only 8% of the US private workforce, a percentage that goes down every year.

At least the AFL-CIO with ACILS is engaged in international solidarity, right? In Venezuela, alongside the NED, it has been working to undermine Chavez's government. The Doherty's left the AIFLD to work with Otto Reich with WRAP, as did Jack Otero who was on the AFL-CIO executive council. The biggest pro-war rally in New York City, which I personally observed during a lunch break, was run by the Building and Construction Trades Council, which got over 15,000 workers to Ground Zero three weeks after the Iraq to "support the troops". Yes, Solidarity Forever! like that old song by Ralph Chaplin says (when he wasn't busy driving reds out of the CIO).

Although this is stating the obvious, although perhaps not for the less politically sophisticated and knowledgeable here, we the more politically sophisticated and knowledgeable support workers during strikes, despite union leaderships doomed strike policies and strategies which set them up to fail. Of course, the most important support being the selling them of your newspaper http://www.themilitant.com/2004/6840/684057.html