[lbo-talk] Re: Norway's Judenfrei kristallnacht memorial

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 16:00:55 PST 2004

From the comments section of that salon.com spin off blog, Secular Blasphemy. Subsequent comments are spamatrons from a far right anti-semite loon citing JewWatch, a repellent website. http://blogs.salon.com/0001561/2004/11/10.html I'll just repost some of what I sent in to Andrew Sullivan here, as the going description of this demonstration is /wildly/ inaccurate. There were Jews present in the demonstration. The arrangers, SOS Rasisme, makes it very clear that not only will they never exclude Jews from their activities, but they have always invited Jewish organisations to participate.

SOS Rasisme had specifically asked participants to refrain from displays of partisanship for either side in the Middle East conflict and unite behind the common message of the demonstration. This was their decision, not one of the authorities.

The "Jews and their friends" who tried to hijack the demonstration were in large part right-wing extremists, among them members of Forum Mot Islamisering (Forum Against Islamisation, FOMI), an organisation with neo-nazi roots. Along with them were at least one Jew, Erez Uriely, from a pro-Israel organisation called Norsk Israelsenter (Norwegian Israel Center, NIS). His choice of racist and right-wing extremist companions enraged Oslo's Jewish community and Uriely and his wife were subsequently excluded from Det Mosaiske Trossamfund (The Mosaic Religious Body, DMT) of Oslo.

A statement from Norsk Forening Mot Antisemitism (Norwegian Society Against Anti-Semitism, NFMA) also condemned the action as historyless and unworthy. [1]

The Norwegian authorities will allow Muslim extremists to demonstrate, just as they will allow neo-Nazis, or indeed pro-Israeli groups. The right to peacefully assemble is a basic requirement for the democratic state the authorities are employed to protect and serve. They should not be faulted, however, for denying minority groups from hijacking someone else's demonstration, with potentially violent results.

Anders Widebrant • 11/10/04; 12:52:42 PM #

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Pugliese <michael098762001 at earthlink.net> Sent: Nov 12, 2004 4:57 PM To: leftist_trainspotters at yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: Norway's Judenfrei kristallnacht memorial

-----Original Message----- From: hari6kumar <hari.kumar at sympatico.ca>

Will you post this on LBO Michael? hari

I'll post the below, which I think I sent earlier, here, after appropriate chastisement from Lars. But, we try to avoid cross-posting, no? Out of security concerns. Though no one here advocates or actually carries out illegal, violent sheeit. Though, in the abstract, almost all here, including me (CISPES days, teenage days earlier being thrilled at the victory of the NLF/NVA) support legitimate national liberation struggles vs. fascist tyrants like Somoza.
>From the salon.com derived blog comments section.

I'll just repost some of what I sent in to Andrew Sullivan here, as the going description of this demonstration is /wildly/ inaccurate. There were Jews present in the demonstration. The arrangers, SOS Rasisme, makes it very clear that not only will they never exclude Jews from their activities, but they have always invited Jewish organisations to participate.

[...]

Michael Pugliese

Michael Pugliese