[lbo-talk] Pardoned Uzbekistani Convict Urges Youth Not To Be 'Led Astray'

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 07:37:39 PST 2004

Pardoned Uzbekistani Convict Urges Youth Not To Be 'Led Astray' Tashkent Ozbekistan Ovozi in Uzbek 12 Aug 04

[Excerpt] If you visit a village in summer you will see a specific idyllic life. Summer is the harvest time of apples, grapes, melons, and watermelons. [Passage omitted: Repeat]

We visited Turgunboy ota Toraqulov's place on such a day. He lives in Yangiobod neighborhood in the "Ozod" [free] collective farm in Boz District [eastern Uzbekistan]. Turgunboy ota was talking to his wife, Qizlarhon. They welcomed us warmly. We talked about peace and safety and our conversation turned to unpleasant events in Tashkent.

"Our family has been through many dreadful days. A human being can be led astray. Our son Ilyosbek was led astray by religious dogmatists' false propaganda. He was sentenced to five years in prison. He was released under our president's decree on amnesty. The head of our country pardoned our son and others who were led astray. Our son understood his mistake. The troubles of our family are finally over. We are safe now," Turgunboy ota said.

There are both friends and enemies, happiness and problems in this world. Some people are jealous of today's peaceful life in our country. Jealous people are trying to disrupt it. Losers are trying to lead young people astray by entrapping them. The Tashkent events have their roots in this, too.

During our interesting conversation, Ilyosbek came in with melons in his hands. When the young man sat down, Turgunboy ota raised his hands to bless: "Let peace and safety always reign our country."

We looked at Ilyosbek. He looked down as he was embarrassed.

"I was led astray due to the lack of education. I got through it. I understood my mistake even though it was too late. Our president pardoned us. I am working at the collective farm. Living with my parents is invaluable. I got married recently. At the wedding I wondered whether my neighbors would come or not. They paid their respects to me by coming to our place. I realized that my neighbors also understood me.

"They did not reproach me for taking the wrong path. They encouraged me to work hard. I am happy to know that there are such kind-hearted fellow citizens. Can you please pass my words on to young people? I do not want them to be led astray," Ilyosbek said.

After these words Ilyosbek fell silent. He might have recalled the days he had been led astray. The parents of the young man also fell silent. Maybe they were thinking of those who faced premature death as a result of the Tashkent blasts and the innocent people who were affected.

"Help yourself. We raised 10 children. In Ilyosbek's case...[ellipsis as published] The homeland is as holy as your parents are. Our grandfathers told this proverb, not me. Raising a hand against the motherland and provocation are equal to showing disrespect to parents," Turgunboy ota said to break the silence.

"Ilyosbek has drawn the right conclusion from his life. He is working hard. Our hatred for those evil people who carried out the blasts in Tashkent is unlimited," the head of the Xoldevonbek neighborhood community, Zokirjon Qahhorov, said.

"I meet Ilyosbek quite often. He also helps others to draw right conclusions by showing them the right path," a local inspector at the Boz district interior directorate, Lt Xayrullo Mansurov, said. [Passage omitted: Neighbours blessed]

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!