[lbo-talk] Russia for Kuril chain pact

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Nov 15 04:51:08 PST 2004

The Hindu

Monday, Nov 15, 2004

Russia for Kuril chain pact

By Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW, NOV. 14. Russia has signalled readiness for compromise in a long-standing territorial dispute with Japan over four islands in the Kuril chain. The Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, suggested using the same approach in settling the border problem with Japan as Moscow recently used to negotiate a border pact with China.

Under the accord the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, signed during his visit to Beijing last month, Russia agreed to cede one small river island to China and share two other islands to settle the territorial dispute that had led to armed conflict between the two countries 35 years ago.

"It was possible to resolve the territorial issue with China on the basis of strategic partnership," Mr. Lavrov said in a TV interview on Sunday. "We should also look to the future, rather than to the past, in building our relations with Japan." Mr. Lavrov reaffirmed Moscow's commitment to a 1956 declaration the Soviet Union signed with Japan. Under the declaration Russia agreed to hand over to Japan two of the four disputed Kuril islands after a WW2 peace treaty has been signed. The peace treaty has never been signed.

"We are looking for a comprehensive settlement with Japan," the Russian Foreign Minister said, adding that the two countries should resolve the territorial problem.

The settlement of the dispute would clear the way to multi-billion Japanese investment in the development of Russia's Far East and Siberia.

Copyright © 2004, The Hindu.