[lbo-talk] Re:China to invest $20 bn in Argentina

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Wed Nov 17 10:48:33 PST 2004

>From: uvj at vsnl.com
>
>The Economic Times
>
>Wednesday, November 17, 2004
>
>China to invest $20 bn in Argentina
>
>AFP
>
>BUENOS AIRES: China's President Hu Jintao and Argentine
>President Nestor Kirchner signed cooperation agreements Tuesday as Chinese
>companies pledged investments of $20 billion.
>
>Chinese companies would develop railway and aerospace
>projects and send tourists to the South American country on holiday
>packages.
>
>"The goals will be to strengthen strategic cooperation and
>continue the firm reciprocal support in terms of sovereignty, such as the
>territorial integrity of both countries," Hu said through an interpreter. Lo
>Fong Hung, chief executive of the China Construction Bureau, said during a
>ceremony that $20 billion would be invested in Argentina.
>
>Some $8 billion would finance urban and interurban
>railways and $5 billion would be invested in fossil fuels over 5 years,
>according to Argentine officials. Another $6 billion would build 300,000
>homes and other infrastructure projects, such as $450 million in
>communications and $260 million in satellite technology.
>
>Welcomed by dozens of children waving the two countries'
>flags at Buenos Aires airport, Hu and his official delegation took a 50-car
>convoy into the capital ahead of meeting Kirchner. Argentina laid out
>maximum civilian and military honors for the visit with a cavalry guard
>escorting Hu and his wife, Liu Yongqing to the government headquarters.
>
>Hu has sought to use this Latin American tour -- ahead of
>a major Asia-Pacific leaders' summit in Santiago this week -- to extend
>China's economic reach in the region. Argentina has been desperate to
>attract new investment since its spectacular default on its foreign debt in
>2001.
>
>Hu said the accords were intended to "strengthen strategic
>cooperation." "The two governments are going to stimulate enterprises to
>increase initiatives in the agro-food, industrial, mining and infrastructure
>sectors," said the Chinese leader after signing the accord.
>
>One poll published Tuesday said 78 per cent of Argentines
>believe the economic agreements will be important to help Argentina's
>efforts to escape its economic crisis. In Brazil, where he spent five days,
>Hu secured recognition from the government that China is a "market economy"
>which helps its case in international anti-dumping disputes.
>
>In exchange, Brazil obtained greater access to the Chinese
>market for its beef and poultry industry, as well as a $200 million order
>for at least 10 Embraer airplanes. Hu was expected to seek the same
>concession from Argentina.
>
>As in Brazil this has caused concern in Argentina that
>such a move could weaken Argentina's defenses against a flood of Chinese
>goods. "It is impossible to compete with China equally," said Aldo
> [...]

Am I the only one who thinks the Chinese government is planning a future stratagy of being the main superpower? Let's face it, the US is destin to crumble under the sheer stupidity of the present leaders in Washington... not to mention the disturbing level of callousness, in the community of opulent miscreants.

I have not yet got to see "The Take"; but from what I've read, there seems to be a firm support for democracy over neo-liberalism. I might me wrong though.