[lbo-talk] Fallujah: a picture of the triumph

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:39:24 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

>>My arguments at the time (and the arguments of 10s of millions
>>around the world, was (1) that a U.S. occupation would turn out to
>>be a disaster (prediction confirmed)
>
>I thought from the first that the invasion of Iraq would be a crime
>and a disaster. But once it happened, what was the best course to
>advocate? My position then, as it is now, is that we should try to
>find out what Iraqis want - which, 15 months ago was some UN without
>the US solution, and now is just US out.

Opinion polls can't accurately measure opinions of people living in a war-torn country under the foreign occupation, especially when the polls in question are funded and conducted by people who are in favor of continuing the occupation.

A better guide for us would be what various sectors of the Iraqi people are doing and not doing (shown, for instance, in the US, UK, and other casualty counts <http://icasualties.org/oif/>, levels of destruction and reconstruction, unemployment rates, etc.), as well as history of colonialism and resistance to it. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>