[lbo-talk] The nights are long...was Christian cult crap something or other...

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 19 17:42:53 PST 2004

> From: joanna bujes <jbujes at covad.net>
> Date: 2004/11/19 Fri PM 08:08:52 EST
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The nights are long...was Christian cult crap something
> or other...
>

> Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
> >I could never figure out their gig. It wasn't dope. It wasn't sex. It
> >wasn't fun. It sure wasn't the food or social scene. Definitely not
> >the liquor. It wasn't the clothes. It wasn't the cars. It wasn't the
> >crap they read. Their politics are as bad as their breath, their
> >eyesight, and their figures. They are a little like some Morons, I mean
> >Mormons, I knew on my mother's side of the family, but they are a
> >whole lot nastier.
> >
> Death wish? For a possible explanation, try "The Mass Psychology of
> Fascism" by Wilhelm Reich. Great book.
>
> Joanna

I've always considered it a sort of "the other" mode of belief. It's not "me" who is immoral, it is "them". As long as there is a generic "them" to pin the blame on immorality, there is the collected belief that people who are in the "us" of Xtianity (and I'll bet this applies to many groups as well) are the good ones--automatically, without any criticism--and those outside are automatically bad. Labels are everything. And if you can label yourself as the "good" then there you have it.