[lbo-talk] Re: Political Cartography

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 07:25:41 PST 2004

> > (JKS) It is quite rational not to be a radical. It
will
> only get you in trouble.
>
> (CC) You don't accept that narrow conception of
> "rationality" any more than I
> do. I think Webster's Duchess had it down: "I am the
> Duchess of Malfi
> still." Any full sense of "rationality" has to
> include that.

I am not sure that I grasp your meaning here: is the thought that it's rational to hang on to your identity even in disaster?

This statement of the Duchess's occurs shortly before she, her servant and cofidant, and her children are strangled and her husband murdered. While we are are on the subject of Jacobean tragedy, maybe Albert S, having found the happy ending in King Lear, can turn The Duchess of Malfi into a comedy.

> what I
> > am asking for is some rational reason to think
> that
> > that we are going someplace good.
>
> Well, for one thing, reformists make really lousy
> reformers. No
> revolutionaries around, no even minimal reforms.

This is supposed to help me feel better? Do you see a great flowering of revolutionaries clamoring effectively for reforms? Granted, as a corporate lawyer I'm not in the best place to see one way or the other, but the words of the Red Flag, "Chicago joins the surging throng" (of revolutionaries raising the scarlet standard high) seems a bit of an overstatement.