[lbo-talk] Let A Thousand Ronins Bloom

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 20:09:02 PST 2004

Chuck Grimes:

Okay. Let me spin this story. The WH source of the purge is Condoleezza Rice. She is performing this task with Bush as part of the foreign policy mission for Porter Goss (read as Gross). The purpose has little or nothing to do with `loyalty' per se. It is directed as a foundation run up to all the Iran (not Iraq) WMD stories that are being generated out thin air about Iran's nuclear program. See where I am going with this?

Yup, I do.

And I'm hoping - though I fully acknowledge it may be, indeed, most likely is, the vainest of hopes - that your analysis is wrong and no serious efforts (including this pre-work into creating a sanitized CIA) are being put into actually assaulting Iran and N. Korea.

Because, although I strive to avoid alarmism and hyperventilation, I'm convinced that an American attack upon either - or both - of these countries would mean the end of a certain way of life and the beginning of quite another. And this other, new, way of life would be the stuff of dystopian fiction - the tipping point into a full realization of the world depicted in William Gibson's sprawl series. Or perhaps, something worse.

So as I nod off to sleep hugging my wife I'm hoping you're wrong and this Iran/N. Korea fixation will remain smoke and mirrors, huff and puff, 'wolfing off' as we used to say.

But then, so many of us thought War Plan Iraq was only a shadow play to amuse the constituents and now, here we are, watching American soldiers waging war in the birthplace of civilization.

Over there are the imposing ruins of Ur - and there, to the left, an M1 tank firing on someone. If you turn your gaze to the sky ladies and gentlemen you'll note the Cobra attack chopper hovering above us. The gunner is using look-down, shoot-down technology to find and liquefy his fleeing prey. The black specks you may see moving from the ground towards the gunship are Russian made, Strella missiles. Oh, there goes the chopper! But don't worry ladies and gentlemen, there'll be more on-scene soon to avenge this loss.

..

Only moments ago it seems, the above was just a bad dream or the plot of an awful Tom Clancy novel (is there any other kind?) but now...

.d.