[lbo-talk] who said it?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Nov 23 23:35:50 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Seth Ackerman wrote:

> [no cheating]
>
> The idea of freedom - the freedom that we in the United States know and love
> so well - is derived from the Bible with its extraordinary emphasis on the
> dignity of the individual. Democracy is the only true political expression
> of Christianity.

Hmm, the old "protestantism causes individualism and democracy" thesis. But voiced by a third string epigone -- someone who has been to a good university, but who is not an academic, and who clearly only half remembers what he was jazzed about many years earlier and got reminded of recently. And who is trying to convince a semi-hostile secular audience that Christianity has a core that gave birth to our more cherished secular historical advances.

Probably a liberal Democrat from the South who's been to the Ivy League. I'll take Bill Clinton for twenty, Alex.

Michael