[lbo-talk] who said it?

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 24 00:03:44 PST 2004

From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com>

> > The idea of freedom - the freedom that we in the United States know and
love
> > so well - is derived from the Bible with its extraordinary emphasis on
the
> > dignity of the individual. Democracy is the only true political
expression
> > of Christianity.
>
> Hmm, the old "protestantism causes individualism and democracy" thesis.
> But voiced by a third string epigone -- someone who has been to a good
> university, but who is not an academic, and who clearly only half
remembers
> what he was jazzed about many years earlier and got reminded of recently.
> And who is trying to convince a semi-hostile secular audience that
> Christianity has a core that gave birth to our more cherished secular
> historical advances.
>
> Probably a liberal Democrat from the South who's been to the Ivy League.
> I'll take Bill Clinton for twenty, Alex.

It's Henry Agard Wallace, from his Century of the Common Man speech.

When I came across it, two things struck me. First, to be blunt, it sounds like the kind of thing Bush would say. Second, it's the kind of thing that, when Bush says it, makes the left shudder (includng me). Just an observation.

Seth