[lbo-talk] Fantasies of Left Liberalism

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 26 13:56:02 PST 2004

That isn't what Diamond says at all! What he does is explain that the reason social scientists talk about trouble so often is the same reason doctors talk mostly about disease, rather than wellness: We want to understand the problem areas better, so we can intervene to fix or improve the causes. We aren't trouble-addicts; we're optimists. The same argument should be repeated by leftists. We complain because we are trying to find ways to do better, not because we're gloom addicts. (Although some of us clearly are the latter...)

This is the opposite of a call for quietness.