[lbo-talk] On the Limits of Rhetoric Re: lefty percentiles, or, why we lose?

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 26 15:03:51 PST 2004

> The left (willy-nilly, incidentally, even when leftists think they are
> using a rhetoric) casts persuasive discourse under three headings
> officially, four in practice: theory, propaganda, agitation....(The fourth
is polemics -- for which there is very little theory to guide us, mostly because it was never recognized as a distinct genre of left writing and speaking, though it is one of the most often practiced.)

> The theory
> of all [four] is ill-developed (in part at least because of the freezing
> of leftist thought under the Third International), so there is plenty of
> room for fresh thought.

> Carrol
>
> P.S. These categories have nothing to do with "Leninism," though the
> most convenient source for a summary of 2d international thought on the
> subject is to be found in WITBD.

Yes, here it is! The secret to our isolation and failure, comrades! Let us stride firth with our fresh new theories of theory, propaganda, agitation, and polemics! And, of course, our propaganda about theory, propaganda, agitation, and polemics. And our agitation about theory, propaganda, agitation, and polemics. And our polemics about theory, propaganda, agitation, and polemics.

Jesus, Carrol, what a dinosaur you are! "Propaganda" is not a swear-word to you? And you're seriously saying answers to our lack of ways of speaking to the public are "to be found" in Lenin?

If Woody Allen were still keeping track of politics and making funny movies, there would certainly be a character like you in "Bananas II." Christ.