[lbo-talk] Alexander Cockburn: 9/11 nuts have relocated to Stolen Election

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 28 10:56:55 PST 2004

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/133052/index.php
> ...The truly bad news is the 9/11 nuts have relocated to Stolen
> Election. My inbox is awash with their ravings. People who have spent
> the last three years sending me screeds establishing to their own
> satisfaction that George Bush personally ordered the attacks on the
> towers and that Dick Cheney vectored the planes in are now pummeling me
> with data on the time people spent on line waiting to vote in Cuyahoga
> county, Ohio, and how the Diebold machines are all jimmied. As usual,
> the conspiracy nuts think that plans of inconceivable complexity worked
> at 100 per cent efficiency, that Murphy's law was once again in
> suspense, and that 10,000 co-conspirators are all going to keep their
> mouths shut.

Do I think the election was stolen? No more than usual. The Democrats are getting worse at it and the Republicans better. Back in 1960 it was the other way round. The best documented stolen election in history is probably the one that put Lyndon Johnson in the US Senate. Next came the one that gave JFK the White House. So, for sure there's vote suppression in Ohio and Florida. I don't think it made the crucial difference.

"Stolen election" is one way to divert attention from the fact that the Democrats had a lousy candidate and gave up on most of the country, investing everything in two or three states. Small wonder they lost the popular vote, not to mention other minor details ,like the US senate.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/theittlist/site/ittlist/ind/im_so_tired_of_election_fraud/
> ...I’m so Tired of Election Fraud (4:50 pm)

So many excuses for the losing Democrats. Rigged ballot boxes, long lines, voter intimidation, exit polls, etc. So many reasons to move on and focus on the real reasons Republicans won. (Hint: The election wasn’t stolen.) http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/11/10/voting/index_np.html There’s no way Bush cheated his way to a popular victory. Maybe, if you’re really paranoid, he swiped a state here or there, and maybe it could have turned the corner in the electoral college, but in my heart and mind, the popular vote is the one that reflects the will of the people (like it was in 2000). There’s Democrats and Republicans overseeing almost every aspect of the process (not to say touchscreen machines couldn’t fool them both), and 4 million votes is a LOT of votes to cherry pick.

For two, the election is over. Honest progressives defending centrist Democrats like Kerry isn’t going to change anything. There’s no way. Maybe we just like being disappointed. It would be so much more gratifying to see our energy being put to use to further the good radical causes. Anyhow, if you really miss long drawn out election recounts, turn your eyes to the Washington state governor’s race. The slimy Republican is up by a mere 200 votes, with the official recount underway. -- Michael Pugliese