[lbo-talk] Alexander Cockburn: 9/11 nuts have relocated to Stolen Election

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Nov 28 12:19:37 PST 2004

>Do I think the election was stolen? No more than usual. The
>Democrats are getting worse at it and the Republicans better. Back
>in 1960 it was the other way round. The best documented stolen
>election in history is probably the one that put Lyndon Johnson in
>the US Senate. Next came the one that gave JFK the White House. So,
>for sure there's vote suppression in Ohio and Florida. I don't
>think it made the crucial difference.

I see it as a chance to clean up some of the shenanigans. The efforts spurred fourteen members of Congress, led by Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, to request a Goverment Accountability Office (GAO) investigation of the 2004 presidential election. Earlier this week, the GAO announced that it will investigate "the security and accuracy of voting technologies, distribution and allocation of voting machines and counting of provisional ballots."

Some good may come of this. Then again, it could end in a whitewash of the problems. But our hypocritical critique of the Ukraine election is a bit much when blacks continue to be repressed at the polls since they were given the right to vote. It is shameful and it should be brought to a halt. That would be time well spent.

Marta --