[lbo-talk] Amusing license plate

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Nov 28 13:58:28 PST 2004

The seven deadlies are the key to advertising rhetoric. Can you imagine advertising that does not depend on lust, pride, greed, envy, anger, sloth, and gluttony?

This was a huge discovery for me and helped me understand all those medieval plots where the hero (say like Faustus) meets the seven deadlies and falls like ripe fruit. "Why, oh why, oh why" I asked myself, "those things are so disgusting." Then I realized that they were just the medieval expression of modern day advertising...and were thought to be just as effective. After all where money/power rules so do the seven deadlies.

Joanna