[lbo-talk] Alexander

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Nov 29 16:14:52 PST 2004

Yes, children in tow (Alexander & Katharine), off we went to see Stone's imperial slug-fest for a Thanksgiving family treat.

Since my expectations were subterranean, I was not disappointed. We mostly went to see how the story was spun and so the kids could tease each other. I was looking for something to read between the lines...there wasn't much: Alexander brought "freedom" from Persian despotism....and there was something about the actor's physiognomy that reminded me of Bush, and something of Darius' face that reminded me of Bin Laden, etc. But I could have been hallucinating.

What was definitely new and not imagined was the whole "homosexuality" thing. First because it wasn't presented as "gayness" but as male bonding (which is much closer to the truth historically), second because it was done unapologetically, third because it was done fairly well.

Angelina Jolie as Alexander's mother was unspeakably awful. First because she can't act, second because she doesn't look the part, third because they gave her silly things to say. Gag.

Joanna