[lbo-talk] computer question

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 13:05:49 PST 2004

Ravi:

otoh, if you want your new computer to look exactly like your old, just pop out the hard disk from the old and plonk it into the new (you may need to set master/slave jumper settings to have your system boot off the old disk).

I would advise against this method since the result will be an attempt by Windows to rebuild itself per the discovered hardware it'll find on the new machine.

The registry stores information about the hardware state. Unless the new machine is an exact replica of the old Windows will treat everything from the motherboard to the IDE subsystem to the USB subsystem to the NIC to the monitor and so on and so on as "newly found hardware".

You'll find yourself handling a long series of discoveries and reboots that, at the end, may not produce what I'd call a robust copy of the OS.

.d.