[lbo-talk] Marketing Dork

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Nov 30 23:20:05 PST 2004

snit snat wrote:

> So, have you ever heard of anyone landing a job with these gimmicks?
> What do you think of these gimmicks, in general? Offlist rants,
> rambles, whatever would be appreciated.

I have never heard of someone using gimmicks. Wait, at Apple once, this writing contractor we hired showed up to his interview with a fifty pound pumpkin (it was close to Thanksgiving). He got the job but proved to be incompetent. That's it. If I ever got a gimmicky letter from someone, I would never hire them. I have hired people based on their cover letters -- but then I hire writers, so how someone writes is extremely important and pertinent.

It's fun to think of dorky ideas, but time would be better spent writing fabulous customized cover letters and networking. Having a personal contact is the easiest way to get a job. Next line of offense is writing a cover letter that is specific to the job being offered. In the cover letter, in your clearest, simplest, most magical language you need to make the case that your previous experience makes you an excellent candidate. Do not exaggerate -- use the cover letter to teach them how to read your resume. The point of the cover letter is to get an interview -- so present a substantial case that makes them want to hear more.

The point of the resume is to demonstrate that you have the basics and to serve as a reference sheet for the interview. Most interviewers do not know how to interview, so you have to help them do it. You should write your resume so that it highlights what you want highlighted. It is time consuming but worth it to have several versions of your resume for the different types of jobs you're going for. There are no rules for resume formats. Do what works. Do what makes you look good. Nobody cares about education except academic jobs.

I'm really sorry you didn't tell that guy what you thought. It might have helped some of the people he was humiliating. But, it's hard and sometimes you get too enraged. You think if you start saying what you think....you'll be strangling them next.

Joanna