[lbo-talk] What experiments measure...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Oct 2 00:28:08 PDT 2004

A most marvellous passage from J.M. Coetzee "Elizabeth Costello." In this passage, an elderly novelist, the protagonist, describes the experiments of Wolgang Kohler, a real psychologist who did research on primates.

Remind you of anything?

Joanna ------------------------------------------------- " Let me recount to you some of what the apes on Tenerife learned from their master Wolfgang Kohler, in particular Sultan, the best of his pupils, in a certain sense the prototype of [Kafka's] Red Peter.

Sultan is alone in his pen. He is hungry: the food that used to arrive regularly has unaccountably ceased coming.

The man who used to feed him and has now stopped feeding him stretches a wire over the pen three metres above ground level, and hangs a bunch of bananas from it. Into the pen he drags three wooden creates. Then he disappears, closing the gate behind him, though he is still somewhere in the vicinity, since one can smell him.

Sultan knows: Now one is supposed to think. That is what the bananas up there are about. The bananas are there to make one think, to spur one to the limits of one's thinking. But what must one think? One thinks: Why is he starving me? One thinks: What have I done? Why has he stopped liking me? On thinks: Why does he not want these crates any more? But none of these is the right thought. Even a more complicated thought --for instance: What is wrong with him, what misconception does he have of me, that leads him to believe it is easier for me to reach a banana hanging from a wire than to pick up a banana from the floor? -- is wrong. The right thought to think is: How does one use the crates to reach the bananas?

Sultan drags the crates under the banans, piles them one on top of the other, climbs the tower he has built, and pulls down the banans. He thinks: Now will he stop punishing me?

The answer is: No. The next day the man hangs a fresh bunch of banans from the wire but also fills the crates with stones so that they are too heavy to be dragged. One is not supposed to think: Why has he filled the crates with stones? One is supposed to think: How does one use the crates to get the bananas despite the fact that they are filled with stones?

One is beginning to see how the man's mind works.

Sultan empties the stones from the crates, builds a tower with the crates, climbs the tower, pulls down the bananas.

As long as Sultan continues to think wrong thoughts, he is starved. He is starved until the pangs of hunger are so intense, so overriding, that he is forced to think the right thoughts, namely, how to go about getting the bananas. Thus are the mental capacities of the chimpanzee tested to their uttermost.

The man drops a bunch of bananas a metre outside the wire pen. Into the pen he tosses a stick. The wrong thought is: Why has he stopped hanging the bananas on the wire? The wrong thought (the right wrong thought, however) is: How does one use the three crates to reach the banans? The right thought is: How does one use the stick to reach the bananas.

At every turn Sultan is driven to think the less interesting thought.

From the purity of speculation (Why do men behave like this?) he is relentlessly propelled towards lower, practical, instrumental reason (How does one use this to get that?) and thus towards acceptance of himself as primarily an organism with an appetite that needs to be satisfied. Although his entire history , from the time his mother was shot and he was captured, through his voyage in a cage to imprisonment on this island prison camp and the sadistic games that are played around food here, leads him to ask questions about the justice of the universe and the place of this penal colony in it, a carefully plotted psychological regimen conducts him away from ethics and metaphysics towards the humbler reaches of practical reason. And somehow, as he inches through this labyrinth of constraint, manipulation and duplicity, he must realize that on no account dare he give up, for on his shoulders rests the responsibility of representing apedom. The fate of his brothers and sisters may be determined by how well he performs."

[snip]