[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Oct 2 11:20:41 PDT 2004

On Oct 2, 2004, at 11:52 AM, martin wrote:

> Try to think about the quality of the information that's provided
> rather than the delivery system and you might revise your opinion.

Well, I manage to get quite a bit of quality stuff from the Net; perhaps your way of using it is less expert. (Don't you think this list is pretty high quality, all in all?)

But I wasn't just thinking of the computer as a Net appliance. I use it, with and without the Net, in my work, in which it is a vast improvement over the typewriter. I also use it for many applications that would have been impossible in the '50s. I consider it a tremendous invention -- even though Bill Gates has done his best to muck it up.

I don't know how old you were in the '50s, but I was there. Certainly things have gone downhill somewhat since then, but there have also been many "material improvements." (I forgot to mention CDs over vinyl records, for example).

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)