[lbo-talk] Lesbo Goes to Muslim Bridal Shower

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sat Oct 2 12:13:43 PDT 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> >lesbo goes to muslim bridal shower
>Could you say something about why you forwarded this, and why you
>found it interesting?
>Doug

I'm interested in young Muslim men and women -- especially GLBTQ Muslim youths who are liberal and cosmopolitan, even left-wing sometimes -- in the United States and Europe questioning and redefining what it means to be a Muslim. I think that many of them are going in the direction of making being "a Muslim" a matter of cultural heritage rather than religious belief and observance. It's like being Jewish without believing in God or observing Jewish religious codes.

Yoshie fancies herself our enlightener. She posted this because she thinks she's delivering news to us. The irony is that who among us finds this newsworthy? Probably nobody. Take me, for instance. Yoshie thinks I'm anti-Arab, and she almost certainly presumes I would be surprised to learn that Arabs are diverse and fight with each other over their culture. But check out the real locale of such assumptions: Yoshie's herself. She seems quite surprised by this "news" she thinks she's delivering, and finds that it's worthy of her special "interest," presumably because she thinks she'll be the vanguard for publicizing it. Apparently, she might also think you have to arrive in the U.S. or Europe before you can become interesting as a "young Muslim."

My best friend in the world in a secular Arab Palestinian, whose parents lost homes to Israel twice. He's "questioned what it means to be a Muslim" since he started thinking about life as a child. This happened in Jordan. This is old, stale news, whatever its importance is for our secular, pro-gay allies in the battles. Not all Arabs are fundamentalist Muslims. The wheel is round, too.