[lbo-talk] Lesbo Goes to Muslim Bridal Shower

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sat Oct 2 18:44:55 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson" <mdawson at pdx.edu>

Yoshie fancies herself our enlightener. She posted this because she thinks she's delivering news to us. The irony is that who among us finds this newsworthy? Probably nobody. Take me, for instance. Yoshie thinks I'm anti-Arab, and she almost certainly presumes I would be surprised to learn that Arabs are diverse and fight with each other over their culture. But check out the real locale of such assumptions: Yoshie's herself. She seems quite surprised by this "news" she thinks she's delivering, and finds that it's worthy of her special "interest," presumably because she thinks she'll be the vanguard for publicizing it. Apparently, she might also think you have to arrive in the U.S. or Europe before you can become interesting as a "young Muslim."

Imputing/impugning motives regarding the reasons other people post information to the list in the absence of their declared reason[s] for doing so in order to denigrate them is flat out *lousy etiquette*, full stop.

Ian