[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ Why not the best forthe working class ?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 3 07:06:34 PDT 2004

>From: <james at communistbanker.com>
>
>CB: "Great televisions shows ? We could do without 9/10ths of them
>probably."
>
>JG: There's certainly room for improvement, but I think that we are in
>a golden age of TV at the moment - The Sopranos, etc. But I do agree
>with Lord Reith, former director general of the BBC - "Don't give the
>people what they want, give them something better."

That "etc." is misleading; The Sopranos is one-of-a-kind brilliant. Charles is right that the vast majority of all TV programming today is dreck -- probably even worse than the televised mind-rot of the 'fifties because there is so much of it. Worst of all, the US Public Broadcasting System has been defunded and hollowed out -- my local PBS affiliate devotes its Saturday evenings to broadcasting fare like reruns of the Lawrence Welk Show from 40 years ago.

BTW, Lord Reith must be spinning turbine-like in his grave if The Office is at all representative of the BBC's current programming innovation. I tried watching this lauded series a couple of times and found it witless, not -- as claimed -- a satire of witlessness. Of course, most of what's shown here on BBC-America either is decades old or, if current, is god-awful home-makeover programming, so I don't know if the BBC is just saving its best stuff for UK viewership.

But I would say that as "golden ages" go, TV today is mainly brass.

Carl