[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 3 11:36:52 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >Of course, popular culture has become completely mindless and we
> >have regressed over a century in political and economic
> >consciousness, but it's a treat avoiding constant watch repair.
>
> When was this golden age? What were its products? The Whiffenpoof
> Song? Hazel? We just remember the good stuff and forget the tons of
> crap that all the highdomes of the time lamented. And politics - you
> nostalgic for Coolidge? McCarthy? Tippecanoe and Tyler too? Property
> requirements for the (men-only) vote? The poll tax? Jim Crow?

I suppose one could take a Miltonic perspective and note that in the '50s the Senate contained that "One Just Man"* -- Wayne Morris -- and that the current Senate does not.** :-)

But Carl ought to be familiar with "The United States of Lyncherdom" and "To the Person Sitting in Darkness."

On the other hand, the technological claims being made are askew: the point is _not_ whether we (having the technology) would want to lose it but whether those who knew nothing of it were bitterly unhappy pounding away at their Royal (manual) portables.

Carrol

*PL V, 804 ff

**Not likely to, either, since the fair-haired boy of the left-liberals is banging the drum for dropping a few smart bombs on Iran.