[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 18:52:15 PDT 2004

> I apologize for gross overposterism, but a thousand times no. Bob Eliot
as
> Wally Ballou interviewing Ward Smith, cranberry grower, is a bit I could
> listen to daily for the rest of my life and find funny, but a single
viewing
> of Chris Eliot having a "comic" zit attack in There's Somthing About Mary
> sent me fleeing from my TV set in horror. The Farrelly bros. (and equally
> unfunny Coen bros.) I rate as key contributors to the collapse of American
> comedy in our times.
>
> Carl

Well, I won't defend Chris Eliot's non-"Cabin Boy" film work -- those were paycheck gigs (though he's not bad in Harold Ramis's excellent "Groundhog Day"). I said what I liked about him, which is primarily TV. But the Farrelly Bros., who I'm not crazy about, dig deeper than mere gross out humor. There's always a human and humane element to their work, couched in lowbrow humor. Watch "Shallow Hal" and tell me that obese people are being mocked. Quite the opposite.

Now Carl -- you don't like the Coen Bros.? How angry are you? "Miller's Crossing"? "Raising Arizona"? "O Brother Where Art Thou"? One of my fave films ever is "The Big Lebowski." You hated that?

DP