[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?

james at communistbanker.com james at communistbanker.com
Mon Oct 4 08:01:20 PDT 2004

I don’t altogether with Justin when he says, “I don't think people know when they are living in Golden Ages. Taht decision is made by other later.” The Florentine renaissance, for example, was identified at the time as a golden age. And by and large, great artists have been recognised in their own day and only rarely lost sight of. If we distinguish between the truly great (Poussin, Cezanne, Botticelli), the merely fashionable (Renoir, Munnings), and the historically important but not particularly brilliant (Monet, Perugino, Wtewael, Goltzius), I think that the first category has shown remarkable stability through history – including during the lifetime of the truly great artists. Main exceptions are in the nineteenth century when a certain concept of fashion was absolutised between artists, patrons and critics through the academy, and isolated cases of artists who eschewed self-promotion in favour of introverted self-development and limited public interaction (Poussin, Vermeer). Fashion has occasionally neglected some great artists (eg Rembrandt), and promoted others falsely (eg Claude), but usually only briefly. Greatness re-asserts itself.

John made a good point when he tried to pull the discussion away from thinking of golden ages purely in cultural terms, providing me with an opportunity for agreement that I think I should cherish! I can think of at least three other levels at stake in this debate.

Material progress is not up for discussion. Clearly this is the most brilliantly goldenest age ever! What this means is debatable (distribution, sustainability, happiness), but the interpretation is a separate question.

Moral progress is something reactionaries worry about. Debating the merits of energy use on this list, I’m told that I neglect environmental destruction. Making the same points to conservative friends, they try to look very profound and ask me if moral progress has accompanied material progress!

Finally, there’s something that we might call existential progress. Are we happy/equal/just etc? And I think that there is some of that in the romanticising of the 1950s. I know that no one is denying the racism and reaction of the time, but suggesting that the working class did well in those years can only mean that they felt good. Which may be true, but doesn’t this reaction almost define the conservative mentality?

Lamenting golden ages can in some cases be a clarion call to raise cultural standards now (true of the baroque, at least in Italy, I think). Or it can be a miserabilist rant against the present. I think most discussion today tends towards the latter, at the cost of missing much that is good today. And today we have the cultural achievements of Buffy the Vampire Slayer AND the material achievements of lots of big fast cars. Needless to say, I think that we should prioritise the material, not because the others are unimportant, but because the material is something that we can consciously address, and the satisfaction of material wants is the pre-condition for culture.

--James

James Greenstein