[lbo-talk] question re: NYC unemployment figures

A. Venesky a_venesky at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 08:08:03 PDT 2004

Hi-- I'm a Columbia Jrn student presearching a possible piece about local unemployment. And also i'm just curious. On Sept 17, it was reported that NYC's unemployment rate is 6.7% down from 8.7% a year ago. I find those numbers so hard to believe. My boyfriend has been unemployed for the better part of three years, and I, who's supporting him, haven't been able to find a better job than the one i have. My boyfriend has also had many many interviews, most of them being multiple interviews and even tests required per job. And then of course, we never hear from these places again.

Others I know -- mostly Gen X, some Gen Y-- have had similar troubles getting work. (Maybe because a lot of them are artsy farties ot politicos, i don't know, but they used to have day jobs.) I'm also aware that unemployment among black men in this city is 50%.

Can you direct me to any resources to figure out the truth of NYC unemployment? Or has anyone done his or her own analysis that may be helpful for me?

I know that discouraged workers and the underemployed are not considered in the official figures as well. If anyone has good estimates on those numbers, i would be very grateful for your help...

Thanks!

Annie Venesky

===== Annie Venesky 212.905.7014 (day) 212.799.1634 (eve) a_venesky at yahoo.com