[lbo-talk] question re: NYC unemployment figures

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 4 09:17:52 PDT 2004

A. Venesky wrote:

>Can you direct me to any resources to figure out the
>truth of NYC unemployment? Or has anyone done his or
>her own analysis that may be helpful for me?
>
>I know that discouraged workers and the underemployed
>are not considered in the official figures as well. If
>anyone has good estimates on those numbers, i would be
>very grateful for your help...

I haven't looked at this data in years, but it used to be that NYC had a very low participation rate and a very low employment population ratio - i.e., large parts of the population aren't in the labor force because they've given up searching for work. I've got a query in with the BLS to see if I can get up to date numbers on this, but as I recall, if NYers were employed at national rates, we'd have 500,000 more jobs.

Doug