[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ Why not the best for theworking class ?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 5 06:56:16 PDT 2004

John Adams wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 5, 2004, at 02:56 AM, Michael Dawson wrote:
>
>>Carrol says you get to write what you want, if you've ever heard of a piece
>>of work, even if you've never read or seen it.
>
>I've never seen _The Sopranos_, but I did read an explication of the
>episode where Soprano takes his daughter off to college which argued
>that the episode was slanted in such a way as to make Soprano seem
>like a decent guy. It was a convincing argument and, even if I did
>have cable, I don't think I'd care to watch the show, even aside
>from the violence.

I can understand the practice of talking about things you haven't read or seen - as a lot of people have said, learning that trick is one of the great benefits of an Ivy League education. But actually admitting to and defending the practice is a novelty to me. You learn something new every day.

Doug