[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos' (was "warmsummers")

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:06:27 PDT 2004

>From: ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org>
>
>>i have never seen an episode of 'the sopranos' and i do not plan to,
>ever. i find nothing interesting in yet another mob/gangster movie/show
>with some required dose of physical violence thrown in. it is for
>similar reasons that i avoid broadway shows, reading the washington
>times, and listening to brittney spears. ;-) in the process, i may miss
>an occasional gem, but the shortcut pays off significantly, in the long
>run.

I've been itching to denounce Quentin Tarantino for a long time -- everything I've read about his work with its apparently solipsistic film-world orientation and cartoonish ultra-violence sets my teeth on edge. Unfortunately, I recognize that the price of admission to be an official Tarantino critic is to actually see a Tarantino movie, and that's too high a price to pay. (Ditto Adam Sandler.)

But you're really missing something by not seeing The Sopranos, which offers a real window on the American psyche. Tony Soprano is a man who can cycle from a narcissistic concern about his psychological well-being to strangling a man with his bare hands in just minutes. You realize that a society capable of producing so totally disoriented an individual would be perfectly capable of displaying the swings of behavior the US has -- wallowing in self-pity and seeking "closure" over 9/11 at one moment, tearing Iraq to shreds in a temper tantrum the next moment. The Sopranos is a scary show; the US is a scary country.

Carl