[lbo-talk] Re: lbo tv guide poll

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 11:47:22 PDT 2004

--- frank scott <frank at marin.cc.ca.us> wrote:

> "...The Sopranos is the best US TV drama series ever made --"
>
> but what are the choices? almost anything on hbo can seem "adult"
> and
> even "hip" by comparison to the usual broadcast pap, but how good
> is
> that stuff, really?

Each time I am tempted to cancel cable or particular "premium" channels like HBO, along comes a documentary or indie flick that I would not have had access to view otherwise, e.g., "Chernobyl Heart," "Death in Gaza," or "Southern Comfort."

If the "pap" pays the bills for a venue so that other works may be featured, especially to a larger distribution, so be it. When I was a classical music buyer for a large music chain, I and my peers may have cast a pompous sneer at the Top 100, but we also knew those crates of "Flashdance" soundtracks also paid the overhead so that we could stock that one, absolute and pure recording of Vaughn Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis".

- Deborah R.

===== "If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses." - Lenny Bruce