[lbo-talk] Vince Lombardi (Out of Iraq)

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Tue Oct 5 12:24:48 PDT 2004

OK, this Wisconsin stuff is starting to creep me out! Mickey Crowe stories, I love it (I thought he played college ball at Silver Lake in Manitowoc or Lakeland in Sheboygan, definitely not Marquette).

I personally competed against JFK Prep in their last years (80-82) but they were terrible at everything by then. Having gone to St. Lawrence Seminary in nearby Mt. Calvary, WI (part of Wisconsin's Holy Land!) I can appreciate the coolness of having teachers with offices just off their classrooms (I had some really great motivating sessions their as well). However, given that these convenient access offices were also later exposed as sites of abuse, I have mixed feelings. (I often say that the role of architecture in the physical and sexual abuse problems of the Catholic church goes unexplored--Catholic schools, churces, hospitals, rectories, etc. always had these little rooms next to official rooms that end up as sites of abuse).

Our cheerleaders were all guys but only our homecoming "queen" dressed in drag. I grew up in a county that had few (<20) non-whites (and they were usually professionals) but going to St. Lawrence my freshman HS class was >50% non-white.

Jim