[lbo-talk] Vince Lombardi (Out of Iraq)

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Oct 5 14:50:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 at 3:24pm Jim Westrich wrote:

> OK, this Wisconsin stuff is starting to creep me out!
> Mickey Crowe stories, I love it (I thought he played
> college ball at Silver Lake in Manitowoc or Lakeland in
> Sheboygan, definitely not Marquette).

That boy afraid to get more than 20 miles from home or somethin'? Like I said, I really didn't know, and really don't know anything about basketball, but isn't it kind of weird that he didn't get a scholarship to some more high profile school?

> I personally competed against JFK Prep in their last years
> (80-82) but they were terrible at everything by then.
> Having gone to St. Lawrence Seminary in nearby Mt.
> Calvary, WI (part of Wisconsin's Holy Land!)

Ha! My mom's brother (my godfather) graduated from there -- I've got his Hilltopper's letter jacket some place... I went to a couple of retreats their when I was pre/early teenager.

As to WI's Holy Land, I'm partial to Holy Hill in Mt. Horeb. Gack! That place is freaky! My brother that lives in West Bend got married at the state park down the road from Holy Hill a few years ago and me and a couple of my brothers and friends took a jaunt over there and I'd forgotten (or it had never registered when I was a kid) what a reactionary place that is. (I've got a Holy Hill shot glass (!) next to me on the desk here at work that I bought that weekend.)

> I can appreciate the coolness of having teachers with
> offices just off their classrooms (I had some really great
> motivating sessions their as well). However, given that
> these convenient access offices were also later exposed as
> sites of abuse, I have mixed feelings. (I often say that
> the role of architecture in the physical and sexual abuse
> problems of the Catholic church goes unexplored--Catholic
> schools, churces, hospitals, rectories, etc. always had
> these little rooms next to official rooms that end up as
> sites of abuse).

I don't discount what you're saying, but my experience was wholly positive (also, JFK it wasn't a Catholic school (anymore) and only a few of the faculty were Salvatorians, or even Catholic). The sexual abuse of minors by Catholics that touched my life (not me, but some close to me) all happened w/o benefit of church architecture.

So JFK Prep died in the early 80's? About 5 years ago I went googling for it and it was clear that it had died long before the Web existed as it had vanished w/o a trace. I literally could find nothing mentioning its death and only ancient articles referencing Mickey to indicate it had ever existed. I should drive up old County Rd A the next time I'm in Cheeseland...

-j

-- no Onan

Truth is the most valuable thing we have - so let us economize it.

-- Mark Twain