[lbo-talk] Sullivan Disagrees (Re:Cheney wins!)

Stannard67 at aol.com Stannard67 at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 06:36:22 PDT 2004

>From Andrew Sullivan this morning:

SALETAN AGREES: Will Saletan agrees with me that Edwards destroyed Cheney last night:

If you watched this debate as an uninformed voter, you heard an avalanche of reasons to vote for Kerry. You heard 23 times that Kerry has a "plan" for some big problem or that Bush doesn't. You heard 10 references to Halliburton, with multiple allegations of bribes, no-bid contracts, and overcharges. You heard 13 associations of Bush with drug or insurance companies. You heard four attacks on him for outsourcing. You heard again and again that he opposed the 9/11 commission and the Department of Homeland Security, that he "diverted" resources from the fight against al-Qaida to the invasion of Iraq, and that while our troops "were on the ground fighting, [the administration] lobbied the Congress to cut their combat pay." You heard that Kerry served in Vietnam and would "double the special forces." You heard that Bush is coddling the Saudis, that Cheney "cut over 80 weapons systems," and that the administration has no air-cargo screening or unified terrorist watch list.

On all the critical questions in this election - why is Osama bin Laden still at large? why did we invade Iraq? why has the Iraq occupation come unglued? why the poor jobs record? why the record deficits? - Cheney had almost no answer at all. If you're already a committed Bush voter, it must have felt great to see a candidate articulate and aggressive. But any undecided voter would have sided with Edwards. That's what matters. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041006/de7b249c/attachment.htm>