[lbo-talk] Vince Lombardi (Out of Iraq)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Oct 6 07:27:36 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Redmond" <dredmond at efn.org>
> So if you took Gore winning for granted or thought his losing wouldn't
> make
> a difference, or both, you share responsibility for Bush running the
world
> for the last four years.
-Sorry, but I refuse to take the fall for *your* party's screw-ups, or for -the violence, stupidity and horror of this Empire. Gore did win the -election, and should've at least put up a good fight.

Back in 2000, I thought there were three putzs running for office-- Bush because he was evil, Gore because he was incompetent, and Nader because he was helping to elect Bush.

My "party", however, was everyone NOT at the DNC who was fighting to keep Bush out of office, and in Florida they did an amazing job. Turnout among African-Americans was at a record level and Gore scored more votes than the polls expected by a good deal. They just couldn't quite overcome the combined efforts of the Bush and Nader activists in diverting votes away from Gore, which made what should have been a runaway vote for Gore into a close enough election for the GOP to steal. Of course, Gore was a loser in giving in, but he wasn't leader of my party.

This is the problem with folks on this issue. They see politicians as the leaders, so they fall in line with Nader or whoever when they run. Me, I see the grassroots as the leaders and so I fall in line with them on strategy for elections. My "party" this year is largely centered in Americans Coming Together, and from all accounts they are doing a brilliant job in registering new voters and turning out the vote for the election.

Nathan Newman