[lbo-talk] Turnout and a Kerry Landslide

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Oct 6 09:25:26 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>The conservative interpretative schemata include the outside world as a
>confusing and dangerous place, strict macho types as defenders of order
>against that dangerous and outside world, the use of force as the only
>effective means of defending that order, a hierarchy of being with
>indefensible white male on the top and the descending order of women, people
>of color, animals and monsters. The liberal interpretative schemata, in
>turn, include the world as an interdependent nexus of beings, mutual
>responsibilities, and open and honest communication as the most effective
>means of conflict resolution and creation of order, an nurturing,
>non-hierarchical human relations.

I have no argument with your description of the world of TV and the way it influences consciousness. But to the conservative/liberal schema you describe above, I'd add the observation that the denigration and misrepresentation of the working class is common to both con/lib views. The only TV show I can think of that showed people defying stereotypes of the working class was Roseanne. But it's quite possible that I'm leaving others out, because I watch little or no TV.

Joanna