[lbo-talk] Turnout and a Kerry Landslide

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 6 09:36:36 PDT 2004

I have no argument with your description of the world of TV and the way it influences consciousness. But to the conservative/liberal schema you describe above, I'd add the observation that the denigration and misrepresentation of the working class is common to both con/lib views. The only TV show I can think of that showed people defying stereotypes of the working class was Roseanne. But it's quite possible that I'm leaving others out, because I watch little or no TV.

Joanna

Commercial television can't often show the working class in a realistic context. This is because commercial television is all about marketing, and marketing is largely about using easy, shallow "aspirational" imagery to attract viewers and soften up their critical reactions to advertisements.

Even "Roseanne" eventually gave in. First, they somehow found the money to open a restaurant. Then, they won the lottery!