[lbo-talk] Turnout and a Kerry Landslide

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 6 09:56:38 PDT 2004

Joanna:

> I have no argument with your description of the world of TV and the way
> it influences consciousness. But to the conservative/liberal schema you
> describe above, I'd add the observation that the denigration and
> misrepresentation of the working class is common to both con/lib views.
> The only TV show I can think of that showed people defying stereotypes
> of the working class was Roseanne. But it's quite possible that I'm
> leaving others out, because I watch little or no TV.

Roseanne was definitely in the nurturing/liberal category because it showed conspicuously non-hierarchical household with very porous boundaries i.e. outsiders always coming in and out, no male head of the family.

Home improvement was also a good progressive schema which defy the negative stereotype of the working class - the bumbling idiot Tim the Toolman Taylor was in fact the show manager while Al, the streotype of a blue collar worker, was common sense antidote to his boss's blunders.

I stopped watching Tv when my kid went to college, so I cannot comment on newer shows.

Wojtek