[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 09:30:34 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net>

I'd go one further and say that the "greatest pleasure" is something that goes beyond pleasure, beyond the pleasure/pain/numb complex of feeling. This state, which is beyond pleasure/pain is referred to by many as joy and it is asserted that it is not rooted in any kind of prejudiced subjectivity but in a certain quality of awareness.

I would say that some art seeks to cultivate this quality of awareness in us -- mostly by allowing us to be attentive to the whole spectrum of feeling/memory/paradox attending any event and allowing us to sense how we are implicated in all the events we pretend to merely observe.

Joanna

And go further still 'beyond' the joy/nonjoy beyond/within complex to explore-create yet different awareness of-attentiveness to paradox-participation-performance........

Dynamics are more interesting than state[s].

Ian