[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:57:28 PDT 2004

>From: Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com>
>
>We spend many (perhaps most) of our hours trapped in one form of amber or
>another - in traffic, in offices, in, if we're very poor, run down and
>perhaps dangerous environments, etc. Under these circumstances, it's
>natural to indulge in a dream of immediate liberation from these heavy
>chains.

E. M. Forster made a remark in A Passage to India that has always stuck in my mind: "Most of life is so dull that there is nothing to be said about it, and the books and talk that would describe it as interesting are obliged to exaggerate, in the hope of justifying their own existence. Inside its cocoon of work or social obligation, the human spirit slumbers for the most part, registering the distinction between pleasure and pain, but not nearly as alert as we pretend."

A real Zorba the Greek was old Forster.

Carl