[lbo-talk] Honey, I Shrunk the Empire!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 6 11:49:16 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Wed Oct 6 11:16:01 PDT 2004:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>It may eventually come to conscription, but reinstating the draft
>>will be *the last resort*, a course of action open only to a
>>Democratic Administration, which, unlike a Republican one, would
>>have enough support among workers and intellectuals to resume it if
>>all other options become exhausted.
>
>Worked like a charm for LBJ, didn't it? The landslide re-election in
>'68, his place as the most revered of recent presidents....

The draft, if reinstated, will not be popular. I'm saying that it will take a Democratic Administration to resume it. Hopefully, Americans will be able to delay the resumption of the draft long enough, so that Washington will be compelled to withdraw all its troops from Europe, East Asia, and elsewhere if it wants to continue the occupation of Iraq. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>