[lbo-talk] TV without TiVo (in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos')

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 6 15:20:23 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, October 6, 2004, at 02:10 PM, Curtiss Leung wrote:

> Curtiss, who when he was into *some* comic books used to believe
> fervently that _Love and Rockets_ by the Hernandez Bros. was the
> apex of the medium, and this despite never having read a classic
> Marvel comic.

I started out with Lee/Kirby Marvel comics, and I felt the same way the first time I saw _Love and Rockets_--but the one that blew me away lately was Howard Cruse's _Stuck Rubber Baby_. I liked Cruse's _Barefootz_ work from the seventies a lot, but generally found _Wendel_ a little too cutesy (context is everything). I had no _idea_ he had a work like _Stuck Rubber Baby_ in him. There's lots of material relating to the book on Cruse's website, found at (where else?) http://www.howardcruse.com/, and I recommend that anyone interested in comics, the civil rights movement, or pre-Stonewall gay culture give it a look.

All the best,

John A